Tuesday, October 9, 2018

The 1918 Flu Pandemic


The 1918 Flu Pandemic

I have just finished reading Flu, the Story of the Great Influenza Pandemic of 1918 and the Search for the Virus That Caused It, by Gina Kolota. It is written as a fascinating mystery story depicting the years and the scientific work it took to identify the “murderer.”

This virus killed an estimated 20- to 100-million people worldwide, and 500,000 in the United States alone. It was especially devastating to the young adult age group, with most of the deaths occurring in people ages 20 to 40 years. It is pertinent to my own personal history because in 1918 my father was 20, and my mother 22, and neither of them took sick.  In fact Mother helped to take care of some of the stricken, but she remained healthy. I have always thought this reflected that they possess a very strong, healthy immune system. An immune system which I must have genetically inherited, because I have rarely if ever had influenza.

This book, though, brings up the possibility that those who did not develop the flu in 1918 might have been exposed earlier to a similar but weaker strain. This would have caused their bodies to produce antibodies which then protected them against the 1918 virus. Anyway I’m awfully glad they survived the 1918 Flu Pandemic, or I wouldn’t be here.