Sunday, October 21, 2018

Getting My Kids Ready for Elementary School

Getting My Kids Ready for Elementary School

This would have taken place in the 1950’s for Kim and 1960’s for Carl.

I did not talk to my kids in baby talk. If Kim said I want a “keekoo,” I said, “Yes, here is a cookie.” I started reading to them before a nap or bedtime very early on, (but not as early as Carl was reading to Brody, which was about 6 months if I remember correctly.)  And from about the age of two on, they had friends or neighbors to play with, either in our home or the friend’s home.

When they were about 2 years old I started taking them to the church nursery school on Sunday mornings for about an hour.  The next year I added library story hour, for about an hour of sitting and listening. When they were 4, I enrolled them into the YWCA pre-school class with Mrs. Schlederman. I think the class met two times a week, but it could have been just once per week. The class was just a half day, and it was in addition to church and the library.

So by the following year they were ready for half-day kindergarten 5 days a week.