Cards and Gifts
I
have received two greeting cards where the verse sticks in my mind. One was
from my niece Beth who always sent one that said on the front “To my Special Aunt.”
This one though, was quite different. On the front it said, “It’s your birthday,
just let yourself go,” and on the inside it said, “Oh I see you already have.”
Well sure, I had put on some weight the last time I saw her, but should you put
anything like that in a birthday card? (I still love Beth dearly by the way.)
The
other card I remember was from my sister. On the front it said, “Having another
birthday?” And inside it said, “Haven’t you had enough already?” It struck me
so funny I’ve been looking for one like it ever since.
Another
thing from my sister was more than a card. It was a gift. And we had not been
exchanging birthday gifts with each other since getting married. And by now she
already had three or four kids. She lived in Des Moines, Iowa, and I lived in
Winona, Minnesota, so it had to be mailed. I opened the box and here was an
angel food cake packed in popcorn.
It was in perfect condition! I called her to thank her and she told me
the story of mailing it. She had it marked fragile in several places and she
asked the mailman to handle it carefully. But after he got the stamps affixed,
he tossed it about 6 feet into a large container of other boxes. So she was
sure it would be mashed down by the time I got it. She was thrilled to know it
was in such excellent condition.