Quilted
Wall Hanging
As a quilter I was always - every chance I get - looking for
fabric. One day I found some fabric picturing kitties playing with and
unwinding balls of yarn. It reminded me of the first kitty we had when Kim was
four or five. And of course I had to have some of that fabric.
Kim was just a baby when we moved to Winona, where George
taught at Winona State College. We lived in a duplex apartment. At some point
Kim began asking for a kitty, and we explained she couldn’t have a kitty while we
lived in the apartment, but someday we would have a whole house of our own, and
she could have a kitty then. When she was about four years old we did buy a
house. The day we moved in, almost the minute we first walked in the door, she
said, “Now can I have kitty?” Soon after that George came home from school and
as he walked in he said to Kim, “I have something for you,” and he pulled a
tiny black and white kitty out of his jacket pocket. Of course Kim was thrilled, and right then and there she
named her kitty Fluffy. Fluffy was with us for about 15 years.
It was memories of Fluffy that inspired me to make the
quilted wall hanging. Memories of a painting by Piet Mondrian titled
‘Composition in White, Black, and Red’ inspired the design I came up with shown
in the picture. I would have to call mine ‘Composition in White, Black, Red,
Green, Blue, and Kittens.’