My Aunt Clyta and the Loom
My Aunt Clyta was a weaver for several years and made some
beautiful things. She gave me this set of placemats that she wove.
They are such a treasure. I was afraid to use them for fear they would get stained. She was my house mother my first year in college. After she retired she lived in a senior citizens’ home in Des Moines. Every time I went to visit Mom and Dad from my home in Minnesota I always went to see Aunt Clyta (‘Mother Hall’). We had some good visits. As the years passed she gave up weaving. She asked me if I would like to buy the table loom as she needed some money and she knew she wouldn’t be weaving anymore. So I have her loom. And I have used it only once or twice, but I think of her often.
They are such a treasure. I was afraid to use them for fear they would get stained. She was my house mother my first year in college. After she retired she lived in a senior citizens’ home in Des Moines. Every time I went to visit Mom and Dad from my home in Minnesota I always went to see Aunt Clyta (‘Mother Hall’). We had some good visits. As the years passed she gave up weaving. She asked me if I would like to buy the table loom as she needed some money and she knew she wouldn’t be weaving anymore. So I have her loom. And I have used it only once or twice, but I think of her often.
