Going Shopping and to
Daddy’s Office
There
were no shopping malls when I was a child. We shopped in department stores, which were all downtown. We
rode a streetcar to get there. I remember one time I was walking behind Mother
and holding onto her coat. But
somehow I got ahold of another lady’s coat. For only the briefest moment of fear, I was lost. But I got found almost immediately.
Our
favorite stores were Younkers and Penneys, which was two blocks east. On the
way to Penneys we passed the dime store, my favorite.
The
next corner was where we turned to go to the Bankers Trust Building, where
Dad’s office was. It was on the
ninth floor. The waiting room was shared by two other doctors. If they weren't
too busy they wanted Geri and me to come into their offices and visit with them,
and then they sometimes gave us gum or candy.
Then
if Daddy was done with his work, we went home. Sometimes on the way home he had
to stop at one or two hospitals to see a patient. When we got home we had
dinner, which must've been cooking all the time we were gone.
We
didn't do the downtown shopping and going to Daddy's office very often, so it
was a real treat.