Friday, March 30, 2018

Lloyd’s Sled

Lloyd’s Sled

I was the child who discovered the sled. In the wintertime, November or December of probably 1935, when it was too cold to play outside for very long, my sister and I liked to roller skate in the basement of our two bedroom bungalow home (1621-41st St., Des Moines, IA., phone number 5-4852.)

We had no idea how lucky we were to have a basement with a concrete floor. In the basement was also an area where Aunt Florence and Uncle Roy stored some of their family’s things when they moved to Alabama. Their family consisted of cousins Lloyd and Corrine. The stored things were behind the big dining room table, legs removed and standing on end to hide the rest.

As we were skating I bumped into the wall next to the stored things and saw a sled behind the table. “Oh wow! A sled,” I thought. "I’ve been wanting a sled forever. It probably belongs to Lloyd. Maybe Aunt Florence would let us use it." Off with the skates! I went running up the stairs to ask mother, “Do you think we could write to Aunt Florence and ask her if we could use Lloyd’s sled?”  (Write to Aunt Florence because long-distance phone calls were only for emergencies and there definitely was no email or other ways of communicating.)  Mother said, “Well, yes I could do that. I will do that.”

Not too long after that there were Christmas preparations, putting up the tree, and other decorations. And then it was Christmas morning and there by the tree were two identical sleds, and also I noticed they were exactly like Lloyd’s sled. Oh I get it! Mom and Dad were hiding their purchases of sled Christmas gifts in Aunt Florence’s things, and my sister and I didn’t catch on. It was still a surprise for Christmas morning. A wonderful surprise.

And the weather cooperated with new snow, so the whole family went sledding that afternoon on the hill behind Perkins Elementary School.